Better Newspaper Contest

2013 Award Winners

Hoosier State Press Association - The Indiana Publisher - Better Newspaper Contest

Issue link:

Contents of this Issue


Page 39 of 67

Division 4 Best News Coverage Under Deadline Pressure/Category 1 First place A dark day in Goshen John Kline, Scott Weisser & Sherry Van Arsdall The Goshen News Comments: Good detail on the crime and the reaction to it. Good portraits of the victim and the alleged gunman. Second place Downtown robbery Joseph Pete Daily Journal (Franklin) Comments: The reporting on the reaction of the people who work near the scene made this stand out. Third place 2 children die in bus crash Renee Bruck & Evan Shields The Madison Courier Comments: Sensitive reporting on an awful tragedy. Best News Coverage With No Deadline Pressure/Category 2 First place Homelessness in Richmond Bill Engle Palladium-Item (Richmond) Comments: Captivating and Well-done. Very thorough. Second place City demo's employee property Karla Bowsher Chronicle-Tribune (Marion) Comments: Excellent coverage of a unique local issue. Third place Upgrade down the line? Kate Knable Daily Journal (Franklin) Comments: Very well-researched and put together. Best Ongoing News Coverage/Category 3 First place Local Marine killed in Afghanistan Candy Neal The Herald (Jasper) Comments: There were many great entries in this category. This one gets top honors for the excellent job on content on a very emotional subject. Second place Greenwood rape case Joseph Pete & Annie Goeller Daily Journal (Franklin) Comments: All three Daily Journal entries could have been placed here and were considered top-notch. This one had a subject matter so compelling, it just had to place high. Third place ISTEP interrogation Tom Lange Daily Journal (Franklin) Comments: This is what newspapers are about – informing readers on very important information they need to know. Nice job. Page 40 A dark day in Goshen By John Kline, Scott Weisser & Sherry Van Arsdall The Goshen News A 48-year-old Goshen woman who was taking college classes and had recently become a paralegal at a local law firm, was gunned down in broad daylight Monday morning while walking to work in downtown Goshen. The gunman, who was the victim's ex-boyfriend, then turned the gun on himself and committed suicide, according to Goshen police. The incident happened around 7:47 a.m. in the 100 block of North Fifth Street, police said, when John Eric Haitsma, 51, a former police officer and Goshen business owner, shot and killed Millicent Morros after a brief discussion between the two individuals. Morros was a paralegal at Yoder, Ainley, Ulmer & Buckingham law office in downtown Goshen, and Haitsma owned and operated Haitsma Lawn Care and also worked at Liberty Tax Service. He served as a Goshen police officer from 1990 to 1998 before resigning to start his business. Upon responding to the scene Monday, Goshen police found two motionless people lying on the ground in the parking lot on the east side of North Fifth Street directly across from the First Quality Cleaners & Laundry business. Police immediately had the Lincoln Avenue/Fifth Street intersection blocked off with police vehicles, and yellow police tape was used to cordon off nearly the entire block. Numerous investigators, as well as the coroner, could be seen canvassing the street and nearby parking lots for any signs of evidence. Further investigation and witness statements at the scene confirmed that the two subjects, later identified as Haitsma and Morros, both of Goshen, were known to one another, having previously been in a relationship that reportedly ended earlier this year. Morros was originally from Niles, Mich. Since the breakup, Morros had begun seeing somebody else, reported WSBT-TV. That man, Dennis Butler, told the station that Haitsma had kept texting and calling Morros in recent days and For complete story, see Click on "Contests." Special report: Homelessness in Richmond By Bill Engle Palladium-Item (Richmond) On any given morning, a group of men sit with their backs to a glassed-in office shortly before 6 a.m. There are 15 or 18 of them, middle-aged mostly, bundled up in work clothes, talking in hushed tones, waiting to leave. They could be waiting for a train or to head out to a job site. But these men are not waiting for a train or to visit a job site. They are waiting to leave a three-story brick building that comprises Hope House, Richmond's men's homeless shelter on the grounds of the Richmond State Hospital. They are homeless men, waiting to go nowhere in particular. But they must leave. This is where they sleep, but this is not their home. "My heart goes out to all of them," said Whitney Mays, Hope House director. "It must be an awfully lonely life. It's a nomadic life. That's what they are, nomads." They are homeless because of the bad local economy, or because of illness, drugs, alcohol, mental illness, poor life choices, lack of education or bad relationships. They battle depression and other mental health issues, and drug and alcohol addiction. These men have no homes, no jobs, nothing really to do this day or any other day, except to roam the city, some looking for work, some looking for food or a warm place to pass the time. Many fight a daily battle with despair as they wander the streets scavenging, or hunker down over coffee and conversation at a meal site. Some filter in and out of the library, waiting to make a return trip to the state hospital grounds for another night's sleep before they get up tomorrow and do it all For complete story, see Click on "Contests." Local Marine killed in Afghanistan By Candy Neal The Herald (Jasper) Dubois County has lost another man in service to his country. Dubois native Alec Terwiske, 21, died in Afghanistan, his family confirmed this morning. He was a lance corporal in the U.S. Marines serving with a mobility assault company. According to his family, he was killed Monday. They do not know his mission at the time of his death. Terwiske is the son of Sandy (Eckert) Terwiske and Alan Terwiske of Dubois. As of this morning, the U.S. Marines and U.S. Department of Defense had not yet publicly confirmed Terwiske's death. The departments do not release the names of those who have died until 24 hours after notifying the next of kin, said Capt. Gregory A. Wolf, media officer in the U.S. Marine Corps Division of Public Affairs. Another source said at least one other member of the military was killed in the same incident in which Terwiske was killed. Flags lined the streets of Dubois this morning as family and friends gathered at Sandy Terwiske's home. Among those gathered were Alec's sisters, Ashlee Gramelspacher, 29, of LaGrange, Ky., and 19-yearold Codi of Dubois; his brother, Brant Terwiske, 27, of Dubois; and his two nieces, Averie and Emme Gramelspacher. Alec carried a picture of 7-year-old Averie in his pocket throughout boot camp. Two care packages prepared for Alec sat on the kitchen counter. Sandy said she was preparing the packages for her son Monday afternoon when, at about 3 p.m., a car pulled up and three Marines in dress uniform got out. She immediately knew what they were about to tell her. She had talked to her son as recently as last week and For complete story, see Click on "Contests."

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of Better Newspaper Contest - 2013 Award Winners