The Mendocino Beacon

April 23, 2015

The Mendocino Beacon - Weekly newspaper published since 1877 with news, sports, obituaries and classifieds.

Issue link: http://www.ifoldsflip.com/i/499944

Contents of this Issue

Navigation

Page 0 of 13

Like The Mendocino Beacon and stay in the loop on local news, sports and more. VISIT FACEBOOK.COM/ MENDOCINOBEACON LIKE US ON FACEBOOK Lake and Mendocino counties contractors guide. See inside MHRB to review conflict-of-interest rules from county. See below. INSIDE THIS WEEK The Interactive Underwater Program through the Mendocino Coast Recreation and Park District allows shore-based watchers to experi- ence marine ecosystems without having to learn how to dive. See story and more photos on page 6. DIVING SEARCHING FOR VOLUNTEERS MATTHEW REED - BEACON PHOTO Classifieds ....... 11 Crossword ......... 9 Obituaries ......... 6 Opinion .............. 4 Sports ................ 8 Weather ............ 3 INDEX By Matthew Reed reporter@mendocinobeacon.com @MendocinoBeacon on Twitter A recent county ruling that tightens conf lict of interest rules for Mendocino Historic Review Board members will be discussed at a special meeting on Monday, April 27. The board will also consider waiving the attorney-client privilege invoked by the Men- docino County Counsel's office regarding an opinion on the ap- plicability of the Political Re- form Act to the MHRB. The meeting will be at 7 p.m. at the Community Center of Mendocino, on the corner of Pine and School streets. Of particular interest to resi- dents of the historic district are the provisions that establish a conflict of interest for board members. The Fair Political Practices Commission states that a conflict of interest exists if a project is less than 300 feet from a member's property. During the April 6 MHRB meeting, several people ex- pressed concern that the re- quirement will force too many board members to recuse them- selves from hearing applications because Mendocino is so small. Following a request by this re- porter for a copy of the opinion, the County Counsel's office re- fused to release the document. MHRB Conflict of interest reviewed County Counsel refuses to release opinion to public THEATER » PAGE 7 MTC's 'Mauritius' opens tonight SPORTS » PAGE 8 FloBeds and Mayan Fusion square off COAST SCIENCE » PAGE 5 Drought bigger than California THIS WEEK'S WEB BONUS Check out our Facebook page By Ukiah Daily Journal staff A Manchester man formally convicted for voluntary man- slaughter in 2009 pleaded guilty Monday in an unrelated incident for a 2014 felony assault, said Mendocino County District At- torney spokesman Mike Geniella. Marcos Cattarino Escareno, 22, avoided going to a jury trial by pleading guilty to felony as- sault by force likely to inflict great bodily injury, which he admitted that he had inflicted upon the vic- tim, Geniella said. The assault was reported on Oct. 4, 2014, to the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office, with dep- uties being called to the Manches- ter area where the victim had sus- tained major trauma to the head and upper body. The victim told the responding deputies he had been at a birth- day party next to the Garcia River when he was at- tacked by two men who had fled the scene. He said he knew one of the men by name, and further in- vestigation by the Sheriff's Office confirmed that man to be Escareno. As a result of Monday's plea, Es- careno was referred to the adult probation department for a back- ground study and sentencing rec- ommendation prior to his formal sentencing on May 11 in the Fort Bragg division of the Mendocino County Superior Court, as required by law, according to Geniella. By plea agreement, Escareno w ill be sentenced to a sus- pended state prison sentence of six years, and will be on the intensive supervision case load of the adult probation depart- ment for the next 60 months with no early termination of that supervision allowed, ac- cording to Geniella. CRIME Man convicted in 2009 manslaughter in court again By Frank Hartzell frankhartzell@gmail.com The public has until May 4 to comment on a draft environ- mental impact report for replac- ing or fixing up the Albion River Bridge. Caltrans has been working to- ward replacing both the Salmon Creek and Albion River bridges for more than five years, with at least five more years to go, and probably more. Due to input from members of the public interested in saving the Albion River Bridge, Caltrans' stated intent for that structure, now being considered for inclusion on the National Reg- ister of Historic Places, has been changed from "replace" to "re- place or renovate." There are major environmen- tal impacts to both replacing and renovating the Albion River bridge. The bridge itself is a big issue. If it were to be replaced, the entire structure would have to be taken to a landfill as hazardous waste. That would cause extra truck travel and classify as haz- ardous waste a lot of wood that is not unlike much of that used in fences and other structures in this area. ALBION BRIDGE EIR comments open until May 4 PHOTO PROVIDED BY CHAFFEE CLINE The Albion bridge nearing completion in the summer of 1944. CA STATE PARKS - COURTESY PHOTO The split rail fence at the Laguna Point parking lot at MacKerricher State Park has not been dismantled for repairs. It is being stolen. Staff reports Somebody has been stealing the split rail fencing from Men- docino area State Parks, most re- cently from Jughandle and MacK- erricher State Parks. "It is tragic to lose the historic fabric of the park to someone out to make a quick buck by selling these stolen cultural artifacts," said Lo- ren Rex, Mendocino Sector super- intendent. "Redwood split rail fenc- ing is being made today, but can- not replace the history of the old growth redwood split rails that have the moss and lichen growth from years of living on the coast." About 400 to 500 feet of split rails have been stolen, Rex said. And the thefts haven't been lim- ited to the parks. There have been reports of other split rail thefts outside the state parks in Caspar and north of Fort Bragg. THEFTS State Parks' split rail fencing targeted, stolen Escareno Marcos Escareno will be sentenced May 11 for 2014 assault MHRB » PAGE 14 RAILS » PAGE 14 BRIDGE » PAGE 14 » mendocinobeacon.com Thursday, April 23, 2015 75 CENTS FACEBOOK.COM/MENDOCINOBEACON 8 52659 03865 7 A NEWSPAPER Volume 137, issue 29

Articles in this issue

Links on this page

Archives of this issue

view archives of The Mendocino Beacon - April 23, 2015
loading...
The Mendocino Beacon
Enter your username and password below to login.

Don't have a username and password? Click "Subscribe Now" below to register.
Not currently a subscriber? SUBSCRIBE NOW!
remember me
Forgot your username or password? click here