continued on Page 2
I N S I G H T
Marketing and Research Newsletter
A S S O C I A T I O N
P E N N S Y L V A N I A
Volume 9, Issue 1 Fall 2015
These tips will help advertisers
make the most of the holiday season
It seems that holiday shopping begins earlier
and earlier each year. Whether anxious
shoppers are trying to snag some bargains, or
avoid the last-minute crowds, retailers must
be well prepared for "the most wonderful time
of the year."
Recent surveys found that,
• 25% of shoppers start their holiday
shopping before Halloween.
• 85% of shoppers typically shop on Black
• 48% of shoppers do the majority of their
holiday shopping on or before Cyber
November and December are high-stakes
months for retailers, representing one-fifth of
annual sales. More than 23 percent of annual
ad dollars are also spent during the holiday
Research shows that when it comes to holiday shopping,
• More than half of consumers are open to buying from a new retailer.
• Fridays and Saturdays are the top days, overall, for in-store holiday shopping.
• 65% of consumers plan to complete up to 75% of their in-store holiday shopping at a
local small business.
• 56% of shoppers believe advertising is important to their in-store purchase decisions.
• 53% of shoppers prefer to research products in-store.
• 52% of consumers prefer to purchase from local retailers, since profits stay in the
• 46% of shoppers who use loyalty programs consider them to be important in their
decision to purchase.
Reaching enthusiastic shoppers couldn't be easier for retailers who are looking to
By Jane Hungarter
Director of Marketing, PNA
Make This Your Best 4th Quarter
News Media Connects with
The Secret to "Booming"
85% of shoppers
on Black Friday.