Special Publications

Corning 2013

Red Bluff Daily News Special Publications

Issue link: http://www.ifoldsflip.com/i/104688

Contents of this Issue


Page 25 of 31

Parks and playgrounds Corning has about 40 acres of parks. "We have really nice little parks," said Corning City Manager John Brewer. "I love our parks." Corning residents formed the Corning Park Improvement Committee in 2002 to help maintain the city parks. Woodson Park In 1901 the Maywood Women's Club began the Woodson Park on land donated to the City of Corning by Waren N. Woodson and Charles Foster. The park, a former olive orchard, is on one city block between Peach and Pear streets at South Street. It is ringed by olive trees and has beautiful redwood trees, grass, walkways, a children's play area, barbecue pits, picnic tables and restrooms. Corning's annual Olive Festival is held at Woodson Park. Northside Park The main feature of Northside Park is the city swimming pool, known as Pohler Pool, named after Theodore "Teddy" Pohler. Pohler owned the Corning Bakery and willed the land for the park to the city with the understanding that a swimming pool would be built there. There are also tennis courts, a basketball court, a volleyball court, picnic tables and public restrooms. The park is between Sixth and West streets on Colusa. Yost Field Corning's most popular baseball diamond, Yost Field, is at Tehama and First streets on the east side of the railroad tracks near Corning High School. The park is equipped with bleachers and lights for night games. The park was named for Roger Yost, a mortician in 26 Corning 2013 Woodson Park in downtown Corning is home to the annual Olive Festival each summer. Pictured is the popular Olive Drop during the festival. Corning. The Yosts bought the Corning Mortuary in 1947 and named it Yost's Corning Mortuary. Mrs. Yost sold the mortuary to Malcolm and Glen Hall in 1952 and it became Hall Brothers Corning Mortuary, now owned by Steve Forrest. Estil C. Clark Park A horse arena, tennis court and baseball field are part of this recreational facility at the east end of Fig Lane off Marguerite Avenue. The annual Junior Rodeo is held here. The park was named for Clark, an insurance agent in town who also owned The Fountain, a popular soda fountain and fun hangout for teenagers from the 1940s through the early 1960s. Martini Plaza This park at 1409 Solano St. was originally built to be a small park with a couple of trees and a bench. But the project evolved into the nice park it is today with the help of volunteers. Paulyne White first asked the owner of the lot, Mike Fitzgerald, if she could plant trees to improve the view from her office window across the street. Fitzgerald agreed, and White and Jolene Wilbourn of Martin's Gardens designed a small area to plant. White heard that the Corning Rotary Club was looking for a community project, so she contacted former Police Chief Tony Cardenas, president of the club, and he agreed to work on the park. Cardenas spent many hours on the design of the expanded park. Fitzgerald agreed to donate the lot to the city and the Corning Exchange Club agreed to help. Susie Martini Roberts, a former Corning resident, offered to pay for half the project. The park was named Martini Plaza in honor of her father, Charles A. Martini, and the family. The plaza was dedicated on May 5, 2001. It has a beautiful fountain, walkways, picnic tables, trees, flowers and public restrooms. Flournoy Park This park is on the grounds of the Corning Senior Center. It has children's play equipment. The park was named for the Flournoy family, who donated the land to the city. Children's Park This park at the north end of Edith Avenue has children's play equipment. — Information provided by the Corning Chamber of Commerce and Corning Museum.

Articles in this issue

Archives of this issue

view archives of Special Publications - Corning 2013